Tuesday, May 5, 2009

French Cuffs or Hand Cuffs?


I love a French Cuffed dress shirt. It is not always wise to wear them with a lab coat so thus I have to take it off on this entry. Recently I went to Macy's and I was looking for a French Cuffed dress shirt. For those who do not know those are shirts that need cuff links to hold the sleeves together. I have about 3 pairs of cuff links and from time to time I like to wear them...like I am doing today. I have a pair that was given to me that are silver and gold that have my initials on them. They are very special to me...but once again I digress.

I was in Macy's and I had picked out several shirts. All of them were nice but I did not want to pay too much for the shirt. I have paid $30.00 and maybe $40.00 for a nice French Cuff shirt, but today I was not going to pay $75.00! I would be a doggone fool to do that. So at this point there are 7 or 8 shirts on the counter when I am ready to purchase my items and go on about my way.

Shirt number one gets scanned and the price is displayed on the keypad...the salesperson and I are having a good conversation concerning jobs and science and what not...shirt number one goes in the bag.

The salesperson answers the phone as someone has a question about something and it lasts maybe 3 or 4 minutes...

Shirt number two is scanned and the price is displayed on the keypad as he is chatting on the phone probably trying to help out another co-worker...

A co-worker comes to the counter and interrupts the conversation as the salesperson has shirt number three in his hand and scans it...the price is displayed on the keypad as I am standing there just taking it all in...

The salesperson then hangs up the phone and proceeds to place shirts number 3, 4, and 5 into the bag...

ME BEING THE OH SO HONEST AND DAMN UPRIGHT GUY TELL THE SALESPERSON...I DID NOT WANT THOSE SHIRTS (4 and 5) AND THAT HE COULD TAKE THEM OUT OF THE BAG!! YEAH BIG DUMMY CLINT!!

Yes so he took the other two expensive French Cuff shirts out and I pay and I go on and leave.

I think about what could of happened if I went ahead and let things progress. I would have had to leave the store and what if he didn't take the sensors off the shirts, I leave and the store sensor goes off, and I am caught with 2 shirts I didn't pay for. Then I would be wearing hand cuffs and not French cuffs. That man might have lost his job and the ability to feed his family. I don't know I think I am too honest at times. I know of many other people who would have gone on and did their thing and not even think about the consequences...they got two free shirts or free whatever item it my be. I wonder, why do I do these things knowing that I am not gaining an advantage. I guess I know that it is not the reward you receive now...but the one you receive in the future that is greater and has accrued more interest.

Putting the safety glasses on the bench top now... as I admire my receipts for the shirts I bought! I'll be back later!!

1 comment:

  1. "I guess I know that it is not the reward you receive now...but the one you receive in the future that is greater and has accrued more interest."

    >>>Job well done!

    ReplyDelete